History

The History Behind Monteverde's Produce

Celebrating 5 generations in the produce business, Monteverde’s was built with emphasis on quality and service.  Our history as the premier produce house in Pittsburgh began over 130 years ago! In the 1880’s, Pietro Paulo (Peter) Monteverde and his brother Luigi (Louis) immigrated to the United States from the town of Monte Grosso, Italy and settled in Pittsburgh.

With a family background in agriculture, the brothers found it a logical choice to stay close to their roots.  Monteverde’s Produce loaded its cart and the family business was born in 1883.  Pietro (Peter) and his wife, Rose, had 10 children, giving the family business a natural line of succession.

The business in those days was home-based, delivering produce to prominent families in Western PA.  The first store front opened in the early 1900’s and was located in the ‘Old Market House’ in the Diamond Market of Pittsburgh, now recognized as Market Square.

After the untimely death of Peter in 1909, Bill Monteverde, along with three of his sisters, managed the family business.  Monteverde’s moved out of the Diamond Market and onto Ft. Pitt Boulevard where it stayed for over 60 years. The business began to service local hotels and hospitals in the early 1930’s. 

The family succession continued in 1956, when Joe Monteverde joined his father after finishing a term of service with the US Air Force.  Under Joe’s leadership Monteverde’s grew to be recognized as the premier produce distributor servicing many of the country clubs, hotels, hospitals, and colleges in and around Pittsburgh.

In 1979, with a move to River Avenue on the North Side of Pittsburgh, the future looked bright with a new warehouse.  The facility allowed the business to grow with the changing food service industry.  Attention to refrigeration, food safety, and local produce became key parts of the company persona.

In 1981, Steve Monteverde, became the fourth generation to venture into the company. As the restaurant business expanded with national chains coming to the city, Monteverde’s grew to be a regional distributor and continued to be recognized for its quality and service.

In 2010, Steve moved the business to Crafton, PA.  The newly remodeled facility boasts plenty of room for growth, modern technology, and convenience for distribution.

Celebrating over 125 years in the produce industry, Monteverde’s welcomed the fifth generation of family when Joe Monteverde joined the company in 2010. Instilled in all of us is a “Tradition of Excellence”, just as Peter and Louis, Grandpa Bill, Joe, and Steve hoped it would.

 

Marbol2

[button type="medium" link="#" target="_self" value="Read more" transparent="0"]